Goleta is the largest unincorporated area contiguous to Santa Barbara and is substantially middle class residential. This area was originally a 4400-acre ranch granted by the Mexican government in 1846 to Daniel Hill. The name "Goleta" is Spanish for schooner. The village was laid out in 1875, and within two years contained a church, store, lumber yard, blacksmith shop, schoolhouse, post office and a wharf. The Goleta Valley was a prominent lemon-growing region during the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was largely agricultural center for years. In addition, several areas, especially the Ellwood Mesa, were developed for oil and natural gas extraction. A commercial strip along Calle Real is one of the town's several business districts. South of the freeway is Old Town Goleta, centered on the stretch of Hollister Avenue between Fairview Avenue and the Highway 217 overpass.